Chicken Tortilla Soup
Try and use the freshest spices you can for this, it does make a big difference. This is personally my favorite recipe. It’s just so yummy and easy as heck to make. I’ve really gotten it down to the point that I could make it with my eyes closed.
You don’t have to use the peppers, I don’t always.
Vegetable oil spray
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
15-oz. can pinto beans, drained
14 1/2 oz. can whole tomatoes
1 cup cubed cooked chicken
2 jalapeno peppers
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. plus 1/2 tsp. ground chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
8 6-in. corn tortillas
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Spray large non-stick skillet with vegetable oil spray. Add 1 tsp. vegetable oil; heat over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic 2 to 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
2. Meanwhile, crush tomatoes; dice jalapenos. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, chicken, jalapenos, cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder, oregano, salt and black pepper to onions. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking sheet with vegetable oil spray.
4. Cut tortillas in half, then into 1/4 in. strips. Place strips in one layer on baking sheet. Lightly spray strips with vegetable oil spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. chili powder. Bake 10 minutes, or until crisp.
5. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle tortilla strips over. Garnish with green onions. Makes 8 servings.